Choose Your Friends Carefully!
Throughout my life, I have been very fortunate to have encountered so many people and have made numerous acquaintance, but I can honestly tell you that I can count my true friends on one hand and that is because I am very selective with who my friends are. If there is one thing that I am extremely picky about in my life, it is my friends. I choose who my friends are very carefully, because I have always been interested in the quality of friendships that I have verses the quantity. As a result, I have been blessed with godly friends in my life.
My godly friends are always a text or a phone call away. I can go to them when I need a prayer and know they will pray with me and for me. They are believers of Christ and are there to help encourage me when my faith is weak. True friends that celebrate and rejoice with me during my joyous times and cry with me during my awesome sorrows. They are always there to encourage me to keep going and are never afraid to hold me accountable to God’s word. But most importantly, they are always there to assure I continue my Christian walk no matter what.
We all need and want to have friends in our life. However, the type of friends we keep is detrimental to our spiritual life and well – being. Who your friends are is not something to take very lightly and I urge you to be very selective when choosing your friends. If you have toxic friends who encourage you consciously or unconsciously, to disregard God and His rules and are not helping you spiritually or in your Christian walk, then it is time to let them go. Having toxic friends is very dangerous to your soul, therefore don’t be afraid to distance yourself away from those types of friends. Having godly friends is a must and nothing to negotiate about. This is your life we are talking about!
The following Scriptures, teaches us the biblical meaning of friends…
- Make no friendship with an angry man, and with a furious man do not go, Lest you learn his ways and set a snare for your soul. Proverbs 22:24-25 (NKJV)
- Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.” 1 Corinthians 15:33 (NKJV)
- Ointment and perfume delight the heart, And the sweetness of a man’s friend gives delight by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 (NKJV)
- He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed. Proverbs 13:20 (NKJV)
- Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. Ecclesiastes 4:9 (NKJV)
Fill your life with godly friends! Friends who will help you to walk closer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, encourage you to have Godly character and who will give you honest advice according to the Scriptures.
-Author: Selam Seyoum